Friday, October 23, 2009

Raising Faithful Kids

As a Christian who's raising kids, what are your biggest concerns? What do you worry about most when it comes to your kids and faith or your kids and God? I recently had an aha moment and came to the realization that my kids are growing up. I've got one in school now. Another will be in school next year, with others heading in that direction. My two oldest have been asking more questions about faith, religion, etc. and that has put this put this topic at the front of the line for me. Which is really where it should have been in the first place.

Here's my two main concerns, thoughts, worries (not really sure how to label it yet). What can I do to keep my kids from rebelling against God when they become teens? We've all seen it happen. Great family, great parents, doing the right things, and yet when their child becomes a teen - the spiritual train wreck happens. What did those parents do? Was it them that at all? Could they have done something differently? Are there any consistent factors that I can point to and learn from?

The second concern I have is to help my kids acquire and develop a faith that they have chosen before they leave for college. I don't want my kids being spiritual giants, youth group leaders, etc. if all the while they don't understand, appreciate and truly own their faith and take personal responsibility for their relationship with God.

Have you gone through this? Do you have some insight you could share? After giving this more thought the past several months, here's a few thoughts thoughts I have.

1. Be intentional. Don't go through the motions and expect that everything will be fine, just because you are going through the "right" motions. What goals do you have for your kids? What values are you going to try to impress on your kids? What are you going to do to fulfill this? Be specific and be intentional.

2. Teach them that their religion, spirituality, faith, etc. is not based, or found in "going to church." Their spiritual health and well-being is based entirely on their relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Everything else is either secondary or simply an indicator of the strenghth of that relationship.

3. Make sure they know that just because I'm a preacher or an adult that I am not a "Spiritual Superman." Although I may not share all of them, I've got to make sure they understand I am just like them with regard to sin, temptation, bad decisions, struggles and successes - all rolled into one. I think this earns me more creditability and respect. Those are two checks I can cash when they are teens.

What do you think? Blessings.

Jeremy

2 comments:

  1. As a parent raising young children this topic really hits close to home. I hope most or all parents are concerned about their children's spiritual lives. It seems I get so caught up in making it one day at a time that I don't focus on the future as much as I should.

    Something that is very very important for me is for my children to have a sense of responsibility and accountibilty. I am not sure if you would classify these as character traits or what. I believe if these are not instilled at a young age, when they become teenagers it might become easier to "lose" them and harder to teach them to do or be those things. I appreciate this article so much. Thank you for letting us see you are like the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good comments Jeremy. I think to my parents and realize that they taught me much more by their example than any other way. God was important to them. They love the church. They loved preachers. They loved each other. They were givers. We enjoyed the fellowship of the brethen. We had lots of good Christian fun and family bonds. I used these things with my children as well. Seems to have worked pretty well.

    ReplyDelete