Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Integrity and Reputation

Ever thought about the difference between reputation and integrity. Until recently, I hadn't either. We've heard the saying before, "integrity is who you are in the dark," or "when no one is looking." This is something I've heard a whole lot. The other day, I heard a definition of reputation that was completely new to me - it's what other people think of your integrity.

Until I heard that definition I had a much more positive or lofty perception of reputation. I have always given a great deal of emphasis to guarding my reputation. But after giving this some thought, I wonder if I haven't had these two things prioritized the wrong way. I'm not going as far as to say that I placed more importance on my reputation. But the two were pretty much equal footing. I think I was wrong.

Instead, I think I should be placing much more importance on guarding, protecting, elevating and lifting up my integrity. You see, our integrity is much more of a direct reflection on our relationship with God and how much we live according to that relationship. As it turns out, our reputation is really just someone else's opinion of how we live out our relationship with God. Other people's opinion won't get me into heaven. Give me my integrity any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment